Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Warm Chocolate Pudding

Thank you to everyone who commented on my last post, I am feeling much better!

Tonight, I offer a recipe. Pudding was a staple dessert in my family growing up, probably because it contains nothing but pantry staples and is easy to make in large batches. There is nothing more comforting than a warm bowl of pudding on a cold night. I go back and forth between butterscotch and chocolate as my favourites. Tonight, chocolate won.


Chocolate Pudding

Serves 2 (or one if you are being indulgent)

2 cups milk or cream, whatever you have on hand
2 tbsp. cornstarch or flour ( I used gravy flour, a super fine flour made for thickening sauces)
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
2 egg yolks, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla

In a heavy bottomed pot, mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, and salt. Add half of the milk and turn on to medium heat. Slowly add the rest of the milk. Heat slowly to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for one minute. Slowly add a small amount of hot liquid to egg yolks, beating well. Add egg yolk mixture back into pot and bring up to a boil again, stirring constantly. Take off the heat and add vanilla. Strain if you desire ( I usually do as for some reason my egg yolks always leave a slightly grainy texture). Serve warm or chilled, however you like it.

Enjoy!

Brenna

No comments:

Post a Comment