Thursday, September 22, 2011

On My Mind

Joining in with Rhonda Jean today for another On My Mind Post. Today I am thinking about my diet and some changes that need to be made. I have had several days in the last few weeks with some bad stomach upset/pain, and I think I need to take a close look at my diet and what might be causing this.




I will be using these cookbooks a lot in the near future!




I am really at a loss as to what could be causing my discomfort. I do not have a history of troubles with certain foods in my family, and never have I had problems before. I have been eating out more than usual lately, so I am going to cut that out entirely and begin to start a food diary to see if I can pinpoint a certain food that is bothering me. I am going to stop eating anything that is not homemade or that I know all of the ingredients to and go from there.

Completely unrelated is a book I have placed on hold at the library. Nourishing Traditions. I realize that this book is completely against vegetarianism and promotes meat eating, but I am curious. I have read so many blog posts about this book (including over at Rhonda's), and I think that it is time I read it. No, I am not thinking about abandoning my vegetarianism, but I think it is imperative that I hear "both sides of the argument" in order to be fully educated in what I eat. I will let you know what I think when I have received and read it.

Have you ever had food intolerance concerns? What are your thoughts on your diet?

Brenna

6 comments:

  1. Hi Brenna,
    I recently realised I was allergic to Marmite or probably the high yeast content of it...I was itchy all over so cut that out 3 weeks ago. At the same time I went "off" meat and coffee and so have been enjoying a wide range of vegetarian foods and I'm not missing the meat or coffee at all.

    Love from Sue
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brenna,
    I do have to recommend Nourishing Traditions- it's amazing. I have a lot of respect for you checking out "the other side" even while maintaining your vegetarianism.

    As for your stomach upset; I think eating out might have a lot to do with it. I used to have a really hard time with greasy foods that weren't homemade, or any generally heavy foods that I ate at restaurants. Now that we hardly ever eat out, and when we do I only eat simple foods or ones I really trust, I experience this a lot less. I'll be interested to see what you find out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brenna,
    I find the worst triggers for my stomach are chili, too much tomato, coffee and alcohol.

    Hope you sort it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Brenna. Looking forward to hearing what you think of the book.
    That's not good about feeling unwell. It is so easy to get into the habit of eating out. We do it now and then and always regret it.
    Hope you are feling better soon. Have a ginger tea. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope your tummy settles down for you soon. I wouldn't think it is your vegetarian diet, maybe just something different that you ate...

    Like Sue I am cutting meat out from my diet because of tummy problems, when I cut out meat, it settles down. We are all different...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can certainly relate to this. I love cow's milk, but as I've gotten older it really does a number on me so I just don't drink it any more.
    I've also found that when I don't eat processed foods, white sugar, etc., I feel so much better. Changing my diet is a work in progress---undoing all the bad habits of a lifetime!
    Nourishing Traditions is next on my list of books to get.


    visiting from Down To Earth

    ReplyDelete