Monday, September 19, 2011

A Delicious Dinner

I recently purchased two cabbages from the market and was at a bit of a loss with what to make with them. The most common use for cabbage in this household is a traditional meal to eat when feeling under the weather. This recipe is called Sick People Soup, and it uses up an entire half head of cabbage. The second half is usually then frozen and ready for the next batch of soup. But seeing as both of use have been feeling just dandy, I figured I needed to branch out a bit in my cabbage repertoire. Umpteen searches on the internet gave me the idea of vegetarian cabbage rolls. But a lot of the recipes called for soy "ground meat", an ingredient we don't eat because of the risks of it possibly containing genetically modified soy. So I was on the hunt for a different kind of recipe, one that sounded interesting and impossibly delicious. And I found it, along with 62 (yes, 62!) other cabbage recipes. No, they are not all vegetarian, but a large amount of them are, along with the hundreds of other recipes she has on her blog. Here is her link:

Seasonal Ontario Food's Vegetarian Cabbage Rolls with Cheese, Wild Rice, and Mushroom Sauce

They are ten times as good as they sound, and they sound amazing! The mushroom sauce is to die for, and it really made the cabbage rolls outstanding. This recipe is most definitely a keeper.




These are the rolls before being baked. I was so excited when they were ready, that I completely forgot to take a picture of the finished product with the sauce. They pretty much looked exactly like the picture on the original recipe's post, so I am trusting you to use that as a reference when envisioning mine. You really should make this, it is delightful. I ended up with 7 rolls and the only change I made was using green onion instead of chives, and we used dijon mustard in the sauce instead of Worcestershire sauce, which usually contains anchovies. 


 Go check out her blog, there are some incredible sounding recipes on it, and she is a Canadian!

Let me know if you made this, I would love to know what others thought of it.

Brenna

2 comments:

  1. I haven't tried her recipe but my DIL in Ottawa makes lovely cabbage rolls too. Will have to try this one, TFS
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenna, I'm really glad you liked them! Thanks for posting (and linking).

    ReplyDelete