Monday, March 28, 2011

Green Breakfast...Literally

I am fairly boring when it comes to my breakfast choices. I eat pretty much one of two breakfasts all week long, perhaps changing it up for a couple of my days off. My two staples consist of plain yogurt with our home canned fruit on top, and a green smoothie.

Now I have recently discovered green smoothies, and have fallen hard for them. Before this revelation, I was making a lot of regular smoothies, sans anything green, which were great. But since the addition of the greens to my smoothies, they have taken on a life of their own. After drinking one of these, I am full for at least 3 hours, and I have a lot of energy. Green smoothies are full of vitamins, minerals, fibre, and good fats. And they taste delicious! I cannot taste the greens in my smoothies, although I have heard that some people can. But if you incorporate a lot of fruit in them as well, the fruit flavor will definitely overpower the greens. I highly recommend trying one. Here is my version, which changes with my mood and my fruit supply:

Green Smoothie


2-3 large stalks of kale, or basically half of the blender capacity. You can also use spinach, chard, or anything that is green.
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup frozen raspberries
1/2 frozen banana
2 tsp. flax oil
splash of fruit juice
enough liquid to cover the greens- I usually use water or soy milk, depending on how creamy I want it that day. Adding only water will dilute the flavor and it won't be super creamy, but your smoothie will be extra hydrating.
I also add a dollop of yogurt sometimes.

I always like to use frozen fruit because it makes the smoothie creamy and icy, which I enjoy. During the summer, I do use a lot of fresh fruit in them, but I always use the frozen banana, as it acts as an emulsifier, bringing the whole thing together.

Blend this all together, adjust to your tastes (more fruit juice for sweetness, etc.), and enjoy! These are especially delicious on a warmer day, as they are incredibly refreshing. Trust me, you won't be able to tell there are greens in it!

They don't always look this green. If you add blueberries or raspberries, you may get a brownish or red colour, but it will taste all the same! Spinach adds a vibrant green colour.

Hope you are all having a great start to your week!

Brenna

1 comment:

  1. Oh I miss my green smoothies. I was an addict too until I killed my blender last year.
    I use to add homemade almond or cashew nut milk to mine for some extra body. Fresh or frozen mango or pineapple works a treat too. If I wanted a real energy boost I'd add some Super Greens - spirulina, barley grass, chorella & wheat grass.
    Enjoy your smoothies :)

    ReplyDelete